I realize it has once again been for-ev-er since I've updated this blog but I simply haven't had time. For this same reason, I also haven't seen very many new movies...whomp whomp! One that I first saw a few months back and has been revisited numerous times (I really should buy that blu ray...) is Easy A.

I'm going to keep this review short because, let's face it...it's not critically cinematic-lly gold. That's exactly what I loved about it though. I wasn't expecting much, and no, the cinematography and score weren't astounding or anything, but it was just an easy to watch, quirky, clever comedy. It's basically this decade's version of Mean Girls, except that the cast was much stronger.  Let's face it, as great as Mean Girls is (long live Tina Fey!!),  there's no way you can watch it without thinking, "man what happened to Lindsay Lohan? She used to be so...not...hot-mess-ish" It's crazy distracting.

Emma Stone...man I can't wait to see everything that girl does. She's hilarious. They hit the nail on the head with the casting for her part. I cannot even imagine anyone else who would have better played that role. Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson played her parents and they were, as usual, adorable. Lisa Kudrow and Amanda Bynes were in the cast and they were fine, but Thomas Hayden Church again put on another hilarious performance.

As far as the story line goes, it wasn't anything spectacular. Anyone who went to public school will be able to relate to the stress and frustration of the rumor mill. The only thing I didn't like was the role Christianity played in the plot. Amanda Bynes' character was the typical, hypocritical jerk who one minute proclaims her love for Jesus in the most corny and obnoxious way possible, but who later does everything possible to make Olive's life miserable. That bugged me a lot, but I think most people can appreciate the character in a way that doesn't reinforce any ill-conceived notions of what most Christians aspire to not be like. I hope so at least...

All seriousness aside...my favorite part of the movie was the quick paced, quick witted dialogue. It keeps you on your feet and intrigued the whole time.  Please watch the movie, if for no other reason, than to see this video on the big screen:


And if you've already watched it, don't EVEN pretend like you haven't tried making a fo-hawk with your hair in the shower...
0 Responses

Post a Comment